Wednesday 11 March 2009

Natural Carbonation

Suitable for a beer wedding?



Seehttp://forum.camra.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=85 for background
also see http://stonch.blogspot.com/2009/03/really-really-bad-idea.html
Oh and http://hardknott.blogspot.com/2009/02/toeing-line.html which is where it started for me.

Sorry about the video quality. I'll use spot lights next time. It was done in one take as I only had one bottle. I know, you can't see the bubbles, but they are there, honist.

Now make your own mind up.

Oh, I've just tried my kegged micro brewed fizzy rubbish. It's picked up enough un-natural carbonation now. It tastes bland and fizzy, just like I wanted it to, but it's about 10% the price of the Duvel shown here.

Some people think that us in the industry should not talk about dispense methods as it only distracts from more important things like the beer tie. Perhaps they are right, too many people who think they are experts on how beer is best dispensed actually know jack poo. Maybe they should just concetrate on drinking good beer and leave us to make and serve it, even if that does mean blankets of N2 (That was especially for TheBeerNut, in case he drops by) Good beer speaks for itself.

5 comments:

Jeff Pickthall said...

Possibly because I was a kid in the seventies, I don't empathise with the demonisation of "fizzy".

For me "fizzy" is fizzy pop which is what I got as a treat from my grandparents on a Saturday - my parents were dour flat orange squash people. Fizzy is good.

I still hear disparaging comments about "keg fizz" and I think "that sounds exciting: draught sass and dandelion and burdock".

I can't help equating the demonisation of fizziness with the demonisation of fun.

Tim said...

I understand your frustrations. You can have naturally carbonated keg beer which is good too. Coopers is a good example. It is naturally carbonated in the keg, no filtration or pasteurisation but is served under pressure by CO2, but at equalibrium (about 2 vols). Hardly fizzy, and probably qualifies as 'real' ale up until it is dispensed.

Tandleman said...

Maybe you should blanket it with N20? That'd be a laugh!

Unknown said...

Jeff, this Duvel was certainly exciting.

Tim, yes that's the point. I love real ale, but there are other beers that are not real that are very, very good as well.

Tandleman, they use it for whipping cream in some restaurants, so why not in beer? It might help Jeff's excitement problems. No, no, the train of thought is just going too far.........

Tim said...

I do like The Beer Nut's nitrocask idea. N2 is usually a lot cheaper than CO2 and does a better job at preventing spoilage.