Thursday 20 June 2013

Let There be Beer

I'm getting a few emails from a PR company at the moment. This isn't unusual. I'm a proud member of The British Guild of Beer Writers and my details are on the web site. I often get information from PR companies trying to get me to blog about their client's beery story. Occasionally I do, but mainly I just ignore the request and put it down as "nice try, better luck with the next blogger" I don't really mind be contacted, I guess it makes me feel important enough for them to contact me.

On this occasion I'm completely unsure as to what my response should be. The company is Frank PR and it seems that their clients are big beer brewers and associated companies. They are claiming "The campaign (and the name) is very much a rallying cry to the nation to remind us just how good it is to have a beer."

Apparently "The coalition behind 'Let There Be Beer' comprises some of the world's biggest brewers, UK brewers, pub businesses, retailers and organisations such as the British Beer & Pub Association (BBPA) and Campaign for Real Ale (CAMRA)."

Frank PR states  "to make sure the key messages of our campaign are spread nationally to revive the nations passion for beer - we feel it's time to restore lagers, ales, bitters, pilsners and stouts firmly in the nation's hearts."

Now, from my perspective I'm unsure what this will do for me. There are no details and the angle at the moment is very nebulous. It has also never been a greater time to be a beer drinker. If the wealth of great beers doesn't get more people drinking more beer then I'm not sure a generic campaign will. There is lots of grand stuff going on and plenty to temp prospective beer drinkers. I suspect the campaign is designed to try and revitalise the drooping success of the major brands. I doubt it'll point out that there is actually a wealth of exiting things happening in our sector of the beer industry.

I think the following snippet of highly produced video may just prove my point. I don't get it, but remain slightly intrigued as to where it's going, and have therefore fallen into their little trap. I also expect that by responding I'll get more emails. Ho hum.


So, what d'ya reckon? A load of nonsense, or am I being unfair to a genuine backer of UK beer? Indeed, has anyone else heard about this "initiative" and can shed more light on it?

I shall wait and see what happens, trying my hardest to remain open minded. Perhaps it will be a great campaign for all beer ever.

8 comments:

Cooking Lager said...

What's in it for you? difficult to say and dependent on where you think new customers to your offer come from.

You are partly in competition and partly complimentary to other product providers, so does the success or decline of the mainstream affect you or your niche?

Do new customers come straight to your product or are they already drinkers of some other alcoholic liquid before they try yours? Is a preexisting cultural acceptance of alcohol consumption a prerequisite of trying your product?

To what extent do you need a mainstream with preexisting distribution channels of pubs & off licences to deliver your product?



Neville Grundy said...

Here today: gone tomorrow.

Unknown said...

Cookie, thanks, great questions. I can't answer them really until I understand the angle of the campaign, which as yet I am at a loss to understand.

It might be fun, in which case I shall continue to contribute.

Tandleman said...

I've had their stuff too, along with an invite to a quiz with prizes where more details will be revealed. I won't be going though as it's in London just a few hours after I'll have left it.

Sort of interesting, but like you I'm a little unsure about it.

Tandleman said...

PS - I couldn't open the file. Thanks for including it.

Unknown said...

Tandy, the file opens OK for me.

Tandleman said...

I just can't open the attachment I was sent, but your embedded file works fine. Mystery.

Cooking Lager said...

From the look of the facebook page

http://www.facebook.com/Lettherebebeer

it is an initiative of drinkaware.